Monday, September 29, 2008

Nesting for the National Holiday Part 1





China is having a national holiday this week. This is the first time we have had a full week off of school and actually chose to stay at home. Last year we went to Vietnam, the year before that Macau. This is really stretching Trevor and I :) We are choosing not to travel mostly because it is just not wise at the point in my pregnancy. We are trying to make the most of our time though. Over the weekend we purchased a new golf club set for Trevor. We got them from a cool section of Guangzhou called Shamien Island. This is where all the finalization's for adoptions take place. There are always tons of American families and their new little daughters.




To see a family with a son is very, very rare, but we did see one. There was a young couple with a little boy, but of course he had a deformity. This is the only way a boy would be put up for adoption. He had a hair lip. It had not been repaired yet, but I am sure as soon as they get that little guy back to his country, they will have it fixed. As I sat there with my son in my belly, I just felt so sad...how many more babies are going to be born with hair lips and given up.




Anyway, as I was waiting for Trevor to finish his last minute bargaining I found a really cool antique Chinese stool. I love Chinese antiques. I think they are so beautiful. Someday I will create a blog showcasing what we have collected so far. Anyway, to your average Chinese person, and antique is a piece of junk. I was looking in a shop selling all kinds of cheap tourist items, when I spotted this stool propping the door open. While the lady is trying to sell me a T-shirt, I point to the stool and ask "how much?". All the sales ladies gather around and start giggling, they think it is soo funny that someone would actually want to buy this stool. So, she starts the price at 200 RMB, which is like 30 dollars. I laugh and cut the price down to 50. She laughs, I laugh, and I ended up paying 100. They probably think they ripped me off, and they did, but I really like my stool, and I have been wanting one for a long time. The photo of the stool is at the top of the post.


The rest of the day was spent purchasing our Christmas tickets home, (yes we will be making stops in Texas and Canada. We will be in Texas from December 20-27, and Canada from the 27-3rd), and purchasing all the necessary goods I will need to nest this week. Nesting for the National Holidays Part 2 will be about all the great things I am cooking for Trevor to have while I am in Hong Kong, and for my mom and I to have while we will not have access to an oven in Hong Kong.


The time is near for Jackson to come!














No comments: