Thursday, September 25, 2008

Why Hong Kong, Why not America, Why not China, Why not Korea???

Choosing where to have a baby while overseas can be a very complicated questions. The title reflects questions people have asked us and questions we have asked ourselves since we found out we were pregnant. I will give you the answers we have come up with in no certain order.

Well, I'll start with China. China is where we are, this is where are home is, we are here. Why not China? Well, there are several reasons. First of all let me say there are millions of babies born here all the time, and I even have other ex-pat friends who have given birth there. The doctors are qualified they know what they are doing, and I do believe the baby and I would survive if we chose to give birth here. But we aren't. These are the reasons. First of all there is almost a 97 percent C-section rate here. Chinese women can only have one child, and with that being the case, they want things to run smooth, not surprises, and they want their tubes tied afterwards to prevent further pregnancies. I can totally understand this, but unlike them I have the freedom to have lots of babies. Also the culture here is very superstitious and that plays out in everything from eating, to sleeping and of course giving birth. They want to choose "lucky days", and "lucky hours" etc. The after care is also very, very different from western countries. I won't go into all the different stories I have heard, but ya, very different. OH, and the doctors don't speak English so well.

Why not America? I would love to have my baby in America. I would be able to leave with plenty of time to get there and rest and be taken care of by my mom. I would be familiar with the doctor, and on and on. The only problem is that my sweet husband my miss the big event. Trevor gets two weeks paternity leave, but trying to time these things is difficult, and I want to be with him as much as possible.

Why not Korea? This may be a no brainer for you, but we actually considered it. It is a lot close than America, Trevor could make within a few hours. The health care is incredible. We have lots of friends there. I guess it would not have been a bad choice, but we would like to be closer to home.

Why Hong Kong? We settled on Hong Kong because it is only a two hour train ride away. The healthcare is very western. I can fully understand my doctor and she can fully understand me, we both speak fluent English. Our insurance works with great hospitals there. They give you a fair chance at having a natural birth, however they will give you a discount if you plan a C-section. I guess that is the trend these days. We are happy with our decision, and feel that we have planned as much as we can.

There are disadvantages to Hong Kong as well. I have to move down there at 36 weeks to ensure safety, and to avoid having to travel across the border during labor. Hong Kong is super expensive, and this living process will cost lots.

I will move to Hong Kong on the 8th of October, and my mom arrives on the 9th, so I am pretty secure about this transition period. We don't know when Jackson will arrive, but whenever he hints of an appearance Trevor will be on his way, and my dad arrives the 29th. I can't wait to fill you in on all of the details that will take place over the next 36-40 days.

No comments: