Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Reflections on Motherhood before Jackson Started Smiling

I can so remember lots of people talking about how you can never "be ready" for your first child. I also remember thinking that Trevor and I were ready. We had been married five years, we were both in our 30s, we had both finished our masters degrees, bought our first house, ect. We were not ready. It is true, no matter how ready we seemed to be, it was all an illusion. Jackson has rocked our world, turned it inside out and back. I say that with love. He is for sure the biggest blessing Trevor and I could ever imagine, but wow parenting is not easy. Here are some adjustments that I was not prepared for:
Always eating later than planned.
Usually eating cold food.
Washing my hands 1000 times a day.
Sore wrists.
The loads of laundry tripling from all the spit up on everything.
Always hearing the cry of a baby, whether it is happening or not.
Catching myslef feeding my pillow in the middle of the night.
Getting ready for the day in five stages, spread out over three hours.
hmm, that is enough for now.
There are also wonderful adjustments that have taken place.
Trevor and I are learning to serve each other in a new way
There is a cute little guy in the house that gives us constant entertainment with his expressions.
We talk to our families even more.
Trevor and I have had huge shfits in our feelinds about life and raising kids.
We are smiling and laughing more than ever.

It is not all that bad, but let me be honest and say that this has been the biggest challenge ever in my life. Jackson is still quite needy and does not really offer anything to us yet, but this week he has started smiling just slightly, and I know that as those developmental elements begin to be common I will really feel more of the positive feelings of motherhood. Do you know what I mean?

6 comments:

Janette said...

I know exactly what you mean! Especially about not really getting much in return from Jackson yet. But as he starts smiling more, and laughing, it just gets so much better! :) Every morning when I go get Karys out of bed, I tell her "Good Morning" and give her a smile and in return I get this huge smile from her and she starts kicking her legs and arms in excitement...makes the day start off so wonderfully!! :)

Jaime said...

It does get better! And sometimes worse. Sometimes they give you sweet smiles and it makes motherhood worth all the time, effort and exhaustion. Sometimes they roll their eyes or shoot daggers at you when they don't get a piece of candy and you wonder why you can't send them back!

Sounds like you and Trevor are getting the hang of things. Can't wait for more pictures! ;-)

Jackie said...

Oh yes, girl, I know what you mean. All of it. Although I will tell you...I SO miss those crazy, mixed-up newborn days. You think they will be babies for a long time, and then suddenly they are having their first birthday.

I smiled at the sore wrists and feeding the pillow in the middle of the night. Yes and yes...I've been there! :)

Unknown said...

I love your honesty Bethany. It's funny, people keep asking if Jordan and I are ready to be a mom and dad, and I tell them I don't think anyone is ever ready and they just kinda look at me blankly. It's funny how we think babies are something we can plan for...It's awesome to hear what you are learning, and I cannot wait to meet my nephew! HOpe your trip here is pretty easy :)

The Pereira Family said...

I'm so glad I'm not the only one who hears fake baby crying and nurses in their sleep. I'm not crazy! Yessss! I'm so totally feelin' you on this post. I'm still having meltdowns every once and a while but it's so worth it all at the same time. Crazy, wonderful stuff.

Dave MacDonald said...

Your blog is very cool. We can sure relate to the radical life change that a baby brings. Sure was good to see you guys.