Sunday, April 26, 2009

Potty Training a Six Month Yr. Old

So, I was first educated about infant potty training while living in Myanmar. A fellow teacher/friend had given birth to a baby boy, and the baby's nanny started potty training him right away. By five months he was totally trained. People in Myanmar can't afford disposable, or cloth diapers, so they have to teach their babies early. In China this is also the case. Actually I am not sure if it's all about money, but for whatever reason, babies learn early here.

Here is a little explanation:
Anticipate when your infant needs to go, then at that moment, make a watery sound such as "sssss" or say "pee pee" if you prefer. Alternatively, if your baby starts to go while you are observing her, immediately make the "sssss" sound. Within days, she will associate this sound with elimination.
When you think she needs to go, hold her gently and securely over your preferred toilet place while giving your audible signal. If it is near time to go, infants are able to relax those muscles and release their elimination upon receiving your cues. She will soon associate the sound, position and place with elimination. Use whatever location and receptacle are most comfy and convenient.


A few months ago, AhJiao (Jackson's nanny) told me Jackson was potty trained. I was shocked. I didn't even know she was training him. I decided that I would be easy going about this and just let her continue. It would at least save us money on diapers. The potty training ends when I am duty, I just don't have the technique or patience.

Last Friday I came home from work early and I found AhJiao and Jackson in the courtyard of our building. AhJiao had told me previously that all this potty training works better outside since you don't have to worry about a toilet. By the way I am not crazy, everyone does this, in fact I saw a grown man peeing in the courtyard this morning. It's just China. I decided to ask AhJiao to show me how Jackson is potty trained, and this is what I got.

He did it!! I was kind of embarrassed for him, but for real this is totally common here. I wonder what will happen when we move?

3 comments:

Laura said...

I know of a girl here that potty trained her little boy when he was 10 months. She started when he was 6 weeks old. It sounded crazy to me until my grandmother told me that everyone was potty trained by one year back when she was raising kids! Maybe we wait too long now!! Ethan was almost 4! Yikes!

Charndra said...

Wow! It's so great to hear about 'traditional' EC. My friend Kelly is in China at the moment and has had the lucky experience of learning more about it in a culture that still practices this gentle toilet training alternative as a cultural norm, at least for now...

You could support his learning simply by offering a wee when he wakes up. That's a Prime Time!

Charndra

Jaime said...

I have a friend, here in the states, that has done the infant potty training. It's kinda interesting. I don't know if I'd have the patience, though. I mean, he's only potty trained to the extent that I take him/her. But, I suppose that scheduling potty breaks is no different that changing diapers (and it's cheaper!) :-) Good luck if you continue it. Pretty cool! :-)