Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Nesting for the National Holidays Part 2

Here are those golf clubs Trevor got that I was telling you about in Part 1. He is pretty happy with himself here. So the week of nesting has continued. It has not been too bad to be stuck at home. We have kept busy. One night we had a game night with some friends from our homegroup and their kids. Trevor and I love the game Settles of Catan, and we were just dying to get it out, but with only two of us, it is not very fun, so here we are playing.
The things mentioned above really have nothing to do with the nesting I have been doing. So, my main goals this week were to cook tons of granola, get some meals in the freezer for Trevor, sanitize the breast pump, and pack up for our journey to Hong Kong. So far, I have prepared a huge batch of fajitas for Trevor, they are patiently waiting in the freezer whenever he wants. I have sanitized the breast pump, and I have started on my batches of granola.
Granola is very special in our house. Trevor and I eat granola everyday. There are a few reasons for it. It tastes great, it's filling, it's healthy, it's cheap, and it's made by me and not some big factory in China ( have you heard about the tainted milk????....so mad about that). You can get some imported cereal here that is even kind of healthy, but it will cost about 13 dollars a box. They do sell Cheerios on the Chinese market for much less, but we are not big enough fans of Cheerios. We also prefer to eat food that is mostly natural, and mostly prepared by us. We are feeling stronger about this more than ever with the recent dairy scandal here in China.
I want to make enough granola for Trevor to have while I am away and for my mom and I to have in Hong Kong. Here is the recipe.
12 cups of rolled oats
1 cup cashews
1 cup almonds
1 cup sunflower seeds
1 cup honey
1 cup oil
1/4 cup vanilla
1/2 brown sugar
1/2 wheat germ
1tbs cinnamon
Mix all these ingredients together in a bowl, grease one or two baking dishes, pour the granola in and bake. Watch for the top layer to brown, when this happens take the granola out and stir it. It should take roughly about 30 minutes, I bake this at 200 degrees Celsius. You can add or take away any of the nuts, these are just the ones we like. You can also add dried fruit once the granola is fully cooked.

The Finished Product

My Granola Factory

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Thank you so much for the recipe! I absolutely love granola, but never buy it because I've always wanted to make it myself. So that's just what I needed. Sounds like you're busy busy busy! Hope you can relax with Mom a bit! :)

Unknown said...

So I decided to make mine with pecans, almonds, and craisons...And I forgot the wheat germ, is that ok?! Thanks bethany!